It is our pleasure to introduce Jaime Johnson of JaimeSews as our CAST Featured Artist. Jaime creates childrens' clothing items and quilts from her home in California.

Rodeo Dress Maggie Mae by JaimeSews
Introduction to you: I've always loved crafting and the thrill of successfully creating something yourself. I started sewing the summer I turned 16 and could drive myself to our small town fabric store. I was hooked and have never stopped! I made several summer dresses, a quilt for my mom and even my Junior Homecoming Dress! I ended up going to college and earning a bachelors degree in Home Economics with an emphasis in clothing and textiles. I've since worked for sewing machine companies, in quilt stores, in bridal alteration rooms, and now from home. I love to sew for my kids, though right now my son is my best customer. He's the idea man and we work together to create what he comes up with. He's very encouraging and we have a great time together. My daughter's only two, but I'm hoping she'll join in on the excitement soon.

Special Offer: Comment below for an opportunity to win one Maggie Mae Tunic (as pictured in this link and limited to sizes in stock)- please include your favorite item from Jaime's shop in your comment if you would like to be entered in the giveaway.

Winter Holidays Lucy Tunic by JaimeSews
How did you get your start on Etsy? I started my shop in 2008 just after the birth of my son. I desperately wanted to be able to stay home, but had to go back to work full time. With a new baby and full time work, the shop took a back seat for a few years. When my daughter was born two years ago, we were finally at the point where I could work from home so I've re-opened my shop and am having a blast with my live-in models and the thrill of working with new fabrics and creating again.

daddy and me baby quilt
Daddy and Me Baby Quilt

How did you choose your shop name? It's been so long ago I can't say I remember! I mean, besides the obvious - my name is Jaime and I sew. Upon reopening my shop, I decided I did not want to have to file a DBA so I generally use JaimeSews as my online name (etsy, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.) but my legal business name is really just my personal name, Jaime Johnson. 

perfect cargo pants boy or girl made to order by JaimeSews
 What does a typical day look like for you? Every day looks different based on what is up on the schedule that day! My primary job is as an Executive Director of a local business networking group so the first half of my week focuses on that. The last half of my week and weekends I can generally use for sewing. We also homeschool my Kinder son so my daughter's nap time is dedicated to school. I like to be busy and if I'm not busy enough, I create busy, though I do try to keep it in balance. Especially now that I'm able to be home, I like the slower pace we can keep if I guard it and don't sign up for too much. 

If you could be anywhere in the world for one day, where would it be? That's tough. Probably somewhere exotic/beachy with my husband.

What is your favorite Bible verse? 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 gives me hope and purpose when life is hard.

maggie mae sweetheart tunic by JaimeSews
Maggie Mae Sweetheart Tunic

What is your favorite Etsy item listing to feature? I love this Maggie Mae Tunic. It was the first I made from this pattern and it's my absolute favorite: www.etsy.com/listing/158607361/free-shipping-maggie-maes-sweetheart?ref=...

Where else we can find you on the Internet?
Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/sewingjaime
Twitter: twitter.com/JaimeSews
your blog: www.jaimejohnson.com
instagram: instagram.com/jaimesews
Etsy: www.Jaimesews.etsy.com


Comments (5)

On January 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM , sammysgrammy said...

This was a gread "read". Love Jamie's shop. "Liked" her on facebook.

 
On January 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM , The REAL EverSewSweet said...

Super cute shop, Jaime! We are "practically neighbors" (I'm in Santa Maria). My favorite item is https://www.etsy.com/listing/156351099/maggie-mae-goes-to-the-rodeo-dress?ref=related-5

 
On January 22, 2014 at 9:09 PM , KarenW said...

Such cute clothes!

 
On January 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM , AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

The clothes in this post are adorable! My favorite item in your shop are the owl tags...I am kinda into owls at the moment!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/125785113/owl-gift-tags?ref=shop_home_active_35

 
On January 24, 2014 at 8:42 PM , Mary Lamoray said...

Absolutely adorable clothes and child model!! :)