A couple of months ago I posted a picture of the vegetarian enchilada casserole that I made on Facebook. Several of you requested the recipe and I have to be honest and say it is still a work in progress, but that’s the beauty of a recipe, you can add your own tweaks and make it your own.

My first taste of a meatless enchilada was actually a frozen dinner that my husband picked up from a now closed grocery chain. What, no meat? It was so good I didn't even miss the meat. Here is my version, I hope you enjoy it.



Vegetarian Enchilada Bake


2 small, thinly sliced zucchini
1/3 c. finely chopped sweet red pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 ¼ c. frozen corn
2 ¼ c. black beans, rinsed and drained
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cumin
2 ¼ c. salsa*
9 corn tortillas
2 ¼ c. shredded cheese
Small handful of cilantro, maybe a ¼ c.
Olive oil

In a large skillet, sauté zucchini and pepper in oil until pepper is tender crisp. Add garlic and cook a minute longer. Add the corn, beans, salt and cumin, sauté 2-3 min. Stir in salsa and cilantro.

In a 13X9 pan coated with cooking spray place a layer of tortillas, cutting to fit. Spread a third of the vegetable mixture, sprinkle with a third of the cheese. Repeat layers twice.

Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25 min or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 min. before serving. I served this with sliced avocado on top and a side of beans, but use sour cream or other toppings as desired.

*If you don't have salsa on hand, use one can of diced tomato with green chili and add 2-3 teaspoons of taco seasoning and ¼ c. chopped onion to zucchini and pepper sauté.

by Lorrie of WitsEndDesign

Comments (5)

On January 16, 2014 at 7:56 AM , Sue Runyon said...

This looks amazing.

 
On January 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM , sammysgrammy said...

I would like this - thanks for sharing - I also want some of your homemade salsa for it............

 
On January 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM , Mary Lamoray said...

Looks good... I've never made this dish, think I'll try it soon :)

 
On January 18, 2014 at 2:42 PM , Unknown said...

Made this today -- It was a big hit with my daughter. I was looking for a recipe like this to replace one that I make with Hamburger.
Thanks for sharing.

 
On January 22, 2014 at 10:15 AM , Handiworkin' Girls said...

This sounds perfectly delicious! And we even have some zucchini on hand... will have to try it at supper tonight. :)