Some days are just crazy.
Others are past crazy.
Such was this day....the one in which I was
assigned to write a Monday Devotional
for this team blog.

I love writing.
I love this team.
This is definitely not a chore.

But....
Today I launched two fundraiser groups
and made a boatload of candles.
I took my MIL to the doctor and finally ate
dinner at 9:45 pm.

So then, knowing that this was going to 
be the case and that I had this responsibility I might have
taken advice given early on and had this post ready to 
auto-post, right?

Well, that's what a normal person would have done.
But obviously my prepping ahead skills are sorely lacking.

I remembered just moments ago and now my husband is 
cheering me on to get this written in the next 17 minutes and 
therefore technically be in on Monday here on the East Coast.

Screech!
Yep that's what the brain feels like right about now.

But then I need to take a turn and apply this to something
Spiritual....ahem.

Well, I would but that would be way too predictable.

Instead I'm going to tell you a story from about 18 years ago.
It is a true story.
Mom shared this recently with our ladies group and it brought
back many memories.  

When I was pregnant with Chelsea I was put on bedrest in my 
fifth month.  It was a very, very long and stressful pregnancy.
Thankfully, in the long run it was worth it and Chelsea was 
born healthy and happy.

Not long after, though, Mom, my toddler boys,
infant Chelsea and I 
went shopping at a large warehouse store.
Sadly, when we checked out there were no boxes in which to 
place all of our purchases so Mom had her eyes peeled for one
as she left the store.
I had the two boys in my cart and Mom had Chelsea,
sitting in her car seat
in the cart she was pushing.
Suddenly Mom spotted a box.
Perfect for what she was looking for.
Without thinking she let go of the cart and headed for that box.
I was captivated by her excitement and watched her go.

All of a sudden from the parking lot came a man's voice, 
"Hey Lady!  Your baby is in the middle of the road!"

Our hearts lurched as we turned and saw that the sidewalk had
sloped and Chelsea, in the cart, had rolled right on down into the 
parking lot.
A pick up truck was stopped in front of her and they were 
shaking their heads in disbelief.

We felt their dismay....
intensely.

Who would let their baby roll into the way of traffic?

Well, no one intentionally.

But, as mom shared with the ladies, 
sometimes it is easy to get distracted by the "empty boxes" 
of life and let go of what is most precious.

I would give a LOT to have had this event never happen.
It is etched in my memory.

But may I never, ever forget the lesson learned that day.

Becky - Good Neighbors Candle





Comments (4)

On September 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM , Anonymous said...

What a great visual to illustrate this truth! Thanks for sharing, Becky! (And I'm betting you never let that happen to Chelsea again!)

 
On September 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM , sammysgrammy said...

God does not waste a single thing, does He? He uses every little experience in our lives to teach us His ways.

 
On September 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM , the butlers pottery said...

What a good illustration out of an almost tragic event. Thankfully the truck stopped in time.

 
On September 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM , ifrog crafter said...

WOW! So true!!! And what a wonderful way to make us realize this. Most of the time, i am overwhelmed with my business, my home, church, youth group...etc., etc., etc. Slowly, but surely, i am putting this lesson into practice. I'm still getting distracted, but now for near as long as i used to. Thank you for this awesome post!