God’s Whisper




The salty mist blew through my hair from the ocean waves crashing on the sandy beach.
The mist tasted sweet upon my lips and smelled of mussels and kelp which nestled into the crevices of the rocks lining the shore.
On this particular morning the beach was dotted with people and as I sat quietly in prayer, it felt as if I was alone with the Lord.
The roaring of the crashing waves drowned out every sound and seemed to become the gentle soft voice of God whispering to me the question “How well do you know Me, my Daughter?”
The tears rolled down my face as I confessed “Not well enough, my Father!”
Then I opened my Bible and began to feverishly devour His word and immediately the burdens I carried became weightless and my heart began to calm and His peace washed over me.
I gently wiped my tear stained face, gathered my belongings and just as I began to rise a hand helped me to my feet.
When I looked up to thank the person, I was all alone and couldn’t help but feel as if the Lord himself gave me a gentle touch.
My steps were lighter as I returned home that day and though the clouds covered the sky it seemed as if the sun was shining.

 I wrote this as I sat on the beach watching the waves as I spent time in prayer. Then I opened my bible to this scripture in John 21:15-17 (NKJV)
Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Feed My lambs."16 He said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Tend My sheep."17 He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?" And he said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You."

How interesting that it was the Lord questioning Peter's loyalty and love for Him, just as He questioned the depth of my knowledge of His word. The grief that Peter felt as Jesus asked him the third time the depth of his love, was equal to the grief I felt when the Lord questioned how well I knew Him. 
I had been going through a transitional season, moving from one failed church to another and it left me feeling a little dry. It was a time of waiting on Him, and sitting at His feet, there were no deep commitments, no purpose, just quiet, like I was wandering in the wilderness.
We all have those seasons, and the Lord always has a purpose for them, 
For Peter, he went on to do even greater things, he found his true purpose in loving the Lord...For me, I continue on the path that He sets before me, I seize every opportunity to know Him more and I wait to once again hear God's Whisper.
How has God Whispered to you? Leave a Comment and share your story.
Julia
JT Designs
www.jtellier.etsy.com

Comments (4)

On June 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM , Mary Lamoray said...

Beautiful!Just beautiful!! My story: (This happened years ago as a young believer)

I was praying and worshiping the Lord in song (silently, because it was the middle of the night) and as I poured out my heart in finishing the last song, at the very last note... I suddenly had an incredible vision! The last note became a flower on a tree that suddenly burst into bloom and Jesus reached up with His hand and picked the bloom!! It was such a beautiful experience and as I pondered it in my heart, I wondered if indeed, our songs of worship fill the trees of heaven with beautiful blooms!

 
On June 25, 2013 at 5:23 AM , Unknown said...

How beautiful!

 
On June 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

I would love to live nearer to the ocean. There is something so embracing about it.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On June 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM , the butlers pottery said...

Wow! So beautifully put.
God has been telling me that the dry season is over, both in the natural and the spiritual, of getting to know Him deeper.