Ummmm….nothing says homey goodness like donuts. I can think of nothing better to dunk into my milk or coffee. Unfortunately, donuts are fried and my arteries are not as enthusiastic about their consumption as I am. I credit my son for starting me on the quest to find the perfect Donut alternative. His love of baking had him cruising the internet when he stumbled across a recipe for Donut Muffins. He asked if I had ever heard of them. I hadn’t but I was certainly intrigued. After doing a little cruising of my own I narrowed it down to three recipes I wanted to try. The first batch was pretty good and the ladies in my bible study group seemed to enjoy them, at least I brought home an empty plate. I however wasn’t happy with the glaze, too watery and a bunch leftover. This is my second attempt and I am pleased not only with the texture and flavor but with the glaze as well. Of course, I added my own tweaks. Feel free to experiment with your own add ins and substitutions. I hope you enjoy these as much as we did.

Donut Muffins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees -- Yield 1 dozen

¼ c. butter ½ c. egg beaters*
¼ c. oil 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
½ c. sugar ¼ tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. brown sugar ¾ tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon ¾ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract 2 2/3 c. flour
1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk*

Glaze
3 tbsp. melted butter
1 c. sifted confectioners’ sugar
¾ tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. hot water

Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with muffin liners. Beat together butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. With mixer on low speed mix baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until just combined. Stir the flour into the batter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and mixing until just combined. Do not overmix. Spoon the batter into cups and smooth tops. Bake 20 min. or until springy to the touch. Cool muffins in tin for 5 min, and then transfer to a wire rack and cool 10 min. before glazing.

To make glaze whisk melted butter, confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and water until smooth. **When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. Once hardened, dip a second time and allow to harden, and then serve.
Muffins will keep at room temp. about a day.

*regular milk and 2 large eggs can be substituted.
** The glaze is where it’s at. Be sure to double dip them.

by Lorrie of WitsEndDesign

Comments (5)

On December 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM , Miss Sarah said...

I make a recipe that is sort of similar and one that I think tastes just like Cinnamon Sugar Cake Donuts. It's the Betty Crocker recipe for French Breakfast Puffs. They are a family favorite! :)

 
On December 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM , Crafty Mommas said...

oh my! want one so bad right now!

 
On December 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Look delicious.

 
On December 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM , Cynthia said...

Wow! This looks soooo good! I love sweets! Many blessings! ~cynthia

 
On December 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM , sammysgrammy said...

sounds scrumptious......perfect for when I play "B and B"