Our church recently finished a video series 
put out by Focus on the Family,
It is called The Truth Project.

The Truth Project is primarily for today's
Church folks and is designed to challenge
us about the lies that have become 
a part of 
our thinking
as we have absorbed more of the culture 
around us.

I can tell you that it is an extremely powerful 
series and has made a real impact on our 
small congregation.
So when we learned that the teacher,
Dr. Del Tackett was going to be speaking about 
an hour away several of us decided to attend.

The only thing we knew about the topic of the day 
was that Del was going to tell us a bit about the 
new project he is working on.


 Let me tell you about one of the visuals we were given 
that day that has already made a huge impact in my life.

Del started by laying out the foundation that there are two 
ways to live our lives.

One is man based.

We "write our life's script."
We attempt to sell everyone around 
on our script.  After all, it is the best for us and 
we want to be happy.
Before long everyone feels the walls go up
to protect themselves from the pain and 
aggravation that comes from the disruption of 
our own story line.
The one we are so attached to.


The second script type is the one that God writes
for our lives.

Can you imagine a world where everyone was living 
exclusively by their Creator's script?
After all, who has the best understanding of who we are?
Of what we need?
Of what is coming in our lives?

No one knows us better.
No one else can see and understand how our various
interactions are going to impact our lives.
No one can write the script better.

But as Dr. Tackett points out so often we are so 
busy with our own script that we miss the blessing 
of His script for us.
We become angry or hurt when someone
"steps" on our script.
And who can blame them?
Those script squashers are only
accomplishing the purposes of their
own script, right?
And shouldn't everyone be happy?

Well.....
Just for a moment
imagine with me a body of believers who
are totally sold out to living 
HIS 
script every day.

I see a group who live to serve each other.
They find joy in caring.
In reaching out to a community around them.
They desire to share the source of their joy
with all who will listen.
I see a people who don't take offense at every 
little thing that doesn't go their way 
because they believe that God's plan is better than 
theirs would have been.

Wow!

This is what Heaven is going to look like.
And then some!

However, I don't think we need to wait until 
Heaven to begin to enjoy the blessings of living 
HIS script.

I'm going to be perfectly frank and tell you that there
has been a spirit of competition between myself and 
another lady at church.
It has been intensifying over the past few months.
I have no idea if she feels it or not but many times I have
gotten myself all worked up as it appears that 
this woman has gone after everything that matters to me.

She is messing with my script.
LOL

Well, God has really helped me to 
chill out about this since taking a step back 
and realizing that while I may truly sense a competitive 
spirit in her, it is in me as well.
Because the Bible teaches that this is an inappropriate response
it is therefore not compatible with living by HIS script.

This means that I must change.
What peace and joy this brings 
with each and every 
"insult".  
I am not perfect..... so initially those old script lines come
back to me but pretty soon I hear the new lines
breathed by the Holy Spirit...
"Just let it go".

I tell on myself here so that you can see a real 
life example of how this way of thinking 
is making a difference in my life.
How encouraging to not have to 
be working so hard to 
have things my way.
I think that in the end I am going to 
find out that HIS script is way better than anything
I could have imagined.

So...I just have to ask.
Whose script are You living?

Just think on it.

Becky Keeney
Good Neighbors Candle Co.

Comments (8)

On October 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM , Unknown said...

Becky, I love this analogy of living according to His will, not our own. Very interesting way to think about it. I need this reminder. Thank you for sharing your personal struggle.

 
On October 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM , Thistle Cove Farm said...

Being competitive takes more energy than I have available -grin-. I'm living God's script, as best as I'm able, with His help. It's not been easy since Dave died but God and I, are doing it together.

 
On October 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM , MarveLes Art Studios said...

Alleluia! We too, recently participated in the Truth Project. It is so good, life changing, and more. I appreciate your post, and am encouraged by it. Thank you!

 
On October 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

I want to believe that I am living His, at the moment. Acceptance of my health is part of that.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On October 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM , Unknown said...

This is exactly the topic we are studying in my women's bible study group. Too often we put our own script before the Lord's.I am a constant work in progress. Thanks for sharing your experience Becky.

 
On October 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM , bananaorangeapple said...

Wow, thanks Becky.

 
On October 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM , Cynthia said...

Wow! This was such a spiritual treat! Every day, I ask the Lord to help me be who He wants me to be; to help me do what I need to do...not, who I or others think I should be or should be doing. This helps me "stay steeped" in His Ways and keep my "self" at bay. This article spoke to this. I believe it gets easier to be who the Lord wants you be, as we practice His Word and Ways. And, I also believe that it will be a struggle, but less of a struggle with continuous practice, while we are waiting to go Home. This has been one of my favorite articles. I am so glad that you attended this seminar. You never know the lives you will touch.... Blessings~

 
On October 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM , Becky K. said...

Thank you, Everyone who commented. I'm so thankful that God is not finished with me yet. He continues to work in us. I happen to be thankful for HIS script.