(Print by TillyClaires)


(If this looks like deja vu... it is because I posted on the wrong day! I pulled it and today is where it belongs.)

The Lord has gifted me with the desire to mentor women. I meet weekly (almost) with one younger woman and we go verse by verse through God’s Words. We pick a different book of the Bible once we have finished one. It is a slow process, some chapters we can finish in one session, some take two, some have taken longer. The goal is to apply God’s Word written well over 2,000 years ago into our lives and show how it still is relevant and useful to us today. Now we are working through Proverbs.

The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
for gaining wisdom and instruction;
for understanding words of insight;
for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,
doing what is right and just and fair;
for giving prudence to those who are simple,
knowledge and discretion to the young—
let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance—
for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Prov 1:1-7

That is my joy… to watch God open women’s eyes and hearts to His Word and to be privileged to be a part of the process. The first week in Proverbs 1 we saw how God emphasized that we should seek wisdom and knowledge. That we should follow “her” (wisdom is referred to as a woman… don’t think too highly of it….God also uses a woman as an adulteress who leads us down the wrong path).

Proverbs 2… pretty much says the same thing. As does Proverbs 3, 4, 5...etc. They all basically tell us that wisdom is what we should seek and follow and stay away from the path of the wicked. As we discussed how God repeated and repeated the same concept, just with a little variance each time, we realized how very important it was for Him to continue to emphasize the same concepts.

I wanted to share with my friend why God would continue with what could be considered monotonous repetition. We talked about how “they” (whoever “they” are?) say that we need to hear things 7-10 times before it sinks in and we discussed how God took the concept a step further in each chapter, affirming what we had learned and adding to it.

Then the word popped in my head… Rototilling! (This is my favorite part of mentoring because it is when I feel closest to the Lord… He just pops things in there for me to use!) I like word pictures and try to use them whenever possible. Jesus gave us the example of word pictures by teaching us with the parables. (If He in all His wisdom knew we learn best that way, then I better follow His lead.)

Rototilling! You take a piece of hard ground and rototill it. The first round you break the soil into large clumps and it is a bit more absorbent than it was. The second round it improves but not until you have worked over that ground repeatedly is it broken and sifted enough to plant the seeds for successful growth. That is what God is doing in Proverbs… He is rototilling our minds. Proverbs is one giant mind rototiller that prepares our mind for God's seeds to take root.

The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this.
First he says:
This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.
Hebrews 10:15-16




Comments (10)

On March 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM , sammysgrammy said...

This ministry looks like the good works that you should walk in that He has prepared beforehand. Eph. 2:10 -

 
On March 19, 2012 at 6:33 AM , myeuropeantouch said...

Phyllis, I love how -with God's help- your mind is working. Wonderful, I have to share this with others. Thank you ♥
Monika

 
On March 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM , Karla Dornacher said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that word picture!!! I have a feeling I will be using that one myself some day... thank You Lord. And thank you Phyllis... for sharing it with the gal you're mentoring and with us. Blessings and God-hugs...

 
On March 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Beautifully written!

I love how you compare God's planting His Word into our heads as "rototilling".

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On March 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM , Julia Badgley said...

I love the idea of mentoring. That's wonderful that you're able to help out. I'm sure it means a lot.

 
On March 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM , The REAL EverSewSweet said...

Such a vivid picture you painted, thank you!

 
On March 26, 2012 at 8:25 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Phyllis, so wonderful to have you back writing for the CAST blog. Thanks so much. What a simple and explanation. You are a blessing.

 
On March 26, 2012 at 10:08 PM , pfd said...

Thanks Sue(s)and others. It is wonderful to be back. And Julia, mentoring is a blessing. I would like to encourage you to try it.

 
On March 28, 2012 at 9:29 AM , Mechelle said...

Phyllis what an encouraging message and picture you have captured in my mind. I need to get back to reading a Proverb everyday.

 
On March 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM , SHEILA said...

Great analogy Phyliss! Loved your explanation.