Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11.28-30)
Matthew is my favorite Gospel....
The well known composer Georg Friedrich Handel put these word's so beautiful, beautiful to music and I will be singing them soon in early December, when we perform the "Messiah" composed by him.
Like the heavy, smoky air from the wildfires in Florida that have engulfed some of us this past summer, I feel there is a weariness that is cast over our world. I can feel it. Perhaps you can feel this weariness too. We are a people who are weary from our declining economy and inclining cost of living. We are weary of increasing demands on our time and attention and decreasing availability of resources to meet those demands.
My church is supposed to be a place of refuge. The sanctuary of God is supposed to be a place where, each week, I can come and be filled to overflowing instead of drained dry – where I can be reassured of God’s life-giving presence instead of feeling like I am dying a slow death from the enormous, life-stealing burdens I carry day to day.
And yet, the church is sometimes just another repository for the weariness that I bring into it. It affects us all. And it drags all of us down. It can engulf us in as real a way as the pressures of the world around us. Jesus has a response to this weariness. He says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”
There is no qualifying of who may come. No one is left out of Jesus’ invitation. If you are weary, Jesus is calling.
If you are carrying heavy burdens and can’t carry them anymore, Jesus is calling.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/80160773/sound-asleep-5x7-scripture-print

If you need rest, Jesus is calling.
God had our weariness in mind when he rested on the seventh day of creation and gave us Sabbath rest. Jesus had our weariness on his mind when he invited all who are weary to come to him and find rest.
But, there is another element of God’s Word that is part of this passage; that we take Jesus’ yoke upon ourselves and learn from him. I understand this as a reminder that responding to Jesus’ invitation to come to him, means that I will find myself in the nearness of his presence. So near, in fact, that I can take the yoke he offers and place it on myself.
In the Bible, a yoke is a symbol of belonging, of obedience, of service. Jesus offers me rest from my weariness, but he also offers me a place of belonging in his kingdom. Belonging in the kingdom means caring for one another and caring for your/my church.
This time of the year, I will try to find rest from my weariness. Find rest on vacation – time off – time away.
I will receive rest from Jesus.
                     http://www.etsy.com/listing/75731163/wordz-from-the-heart-snippet-ornament

Once rested and renewed, I devote myself to caring for the world, my neighbors, my friends and family, and my church.
Receive the yoke of belonging from him also – the yoke of obedience and service.
I am with you finding rest for my soul and praying you will find the same.


                                  http://www.etsy.com/listing/78894662/soul-word-block

Spread the WORD....
Until next Monday, find your rest...in Jesus
Monika of Myeuropeantouch

Comments (15)

On November 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM , Tricia said...

Wonderful reminder to find rest in Him. Thank you Monika!

 
On November 21, 2011 at 9:18 PM , Amber D. Mcnabb said...

Beautifully written. Thank you!

 
On November 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM , LittleElf said...

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing! ^_^

Hugs,
Elfie

 
On November 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM , krafterskorner said...

I agree that much of the world is weary. Our pastor told us yesterday that secularism is the fastest growing "religious group" in America. Yikes! Wake up America! We have a loving Savior!

 
On November 21, 2011 at 10:37 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Isn't wonderful that we can take our burdens and lay them at His feet? Could I ever live any other way? I think not!

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On November 22, 2011 at 3:52 AM , Pearl @ Play said...

Thankful that we have a God we can rest on and trust fully!

Blessings,
Pearl

 
On November 22, 2011 at 6:37 AM , Unknown said...

Very uplifting message - Thanks for sharing!

 
On November 22, 2011 at 6:49 AM , bananaorangeapple said...

I love that verse. Probably my third favourite! Thank you so much.

 
On November 22, 2011 at 7:48 AM , Faith Caroline said...

Very encouraging :) Thanks for sharing!

 
On November 22, 2011 at 8:07 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Amen, Monika. This will go right along with the post that I wrote for Thanksgiving Day and will be publishing then.

 
On November 22, 2011 at 8:23 AM , Loretta said...

Thank you Monika. As I read your post, it reminded me of 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 where God is described as the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort. He comforts us so that we can comfort others with the same comfort we received from God.

 
On November 22, 2011 at 9:50 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Thank you Monika, it does seem like weariness is so common. People are too busy and put their relationship with the Lord on the back burner.

 
On November 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM , Lorrie (witsenddesign) said...

Beautifully said Monika and so applicable and appropriate for this season when we can easily find ourselves weary. Thank you for writing this.

 
On November 22, 2011 at 1:46 PM , Rita said...

Jesus always offers us us these incredible trade-offs...........our weariness for His rest, Our sin for His righteousness, our poverty for His riches, our sickness for His health, our weakness for His strength..........

 
On November 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM , Sheila said...

Thank you Monika for a lovely post, full of wisdom.