Genesis 2:18
Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone, I will make him a helper suitable for him.” NISB

I grew up in a farming community, nestled between a small town and a city.  Times were simpler during the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

One of my fondest memories was sitting in our living room, or someone else’s sipping hot tea while I listened to my parents and their friends, or families talk about farming, politics and host of other topics.  At least once a week, if not more often someone would drop in, unannounced just to visit. During the week the visits would be at lunch time, which we called dinner, as that was the main meal. My mother would always ask them to join us. Her favorite saying was ‘It’s just another potato in the pot’. Frequently they would decline the main course, but not the dessert. They didn’t show up at noon to get fed. They came then because they knew that was when my parents would be in from plowing the fields or feeding the animals on our farm.  
The work on the farm never stopped, yet my parents always had time to stop for a visit. On Sunday’s after church we went to our cousins or they would come to our house for dinner and supper.  Some quick visits were out in the yard, stopping briefly from the work. 


Then I grew up and it was the beginning of the 80’s recession and jobs in our area where not to be found. My future husband found a job 300 kilometers away and I soon followed.
Every one worked, including the women. Women’s lib and rights had taken over the family. Equality we called it, equal rights. But equal rights for whom, the society, the children, the family?
I stayed home and raised my children. I had a couple of friends who also didn’t work and occasionally we’d get together for tea and coffee.
 But one thing did change. No longer did we just drop in. We called ahead to see if we were home. As time went on the children went to school and more mothers went back into the work force and the visits became less and less.
What happened next were that organized events such as sports and clubs of all kinds, consumed more of our time.  Even in the church bible studies, couples nights, singles nights soon became our way of getting together. But we weren’t satisfied to get together and socialize, just talk, which we craved. No, we had to have something to do; plan an event. Now we have facebook, twitter, messenger and emails to keep connected, but still not physically getting together.
When we do get together we can’t stop talking. It is almost as if it has been pent up inside us and we need to get it out. We have become a society that keeps busy with planned events. Have these events, our work and being busy become our drug to dull the pain of loneliness?
We in the church have been called to be different than the world. So why aren’t we? The verse I quoted in the beginning refers to when God made Eve so Adam wouldn’t be alone. This primarily means that marriage does fulfill us. But if that were it God could have had Adam and Eve forever and with no children. No Cain, no Judas, no Saul, King David, Moses, you, me or the other 7 billion plus people.

How does the church act with all their praying and bible studies? Do you go out into the world and be Jesus hands and feet.  James 2:15-17  Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved, or I wish I had a friend to visit and say, “Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!” or I’ll pray for you. And walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup or being a friend – where does that get you? Isn’t it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?   (Italics my addition) (Message Bible)

My pray is if you get that nudge to visit someone, listen to it. Don’t be too busy (Being Under Satan’s Yolk) and don’t let fear stop you for fear is ‘False Expectations Appearing Real’. Let us the church lead the way and get back to socializing, not just being friendly, but be a friend. God did not design us to be alone.

Comments (14)

On November 14, 2011 at 8:43 AM , GingerPeachT said...

Wow, this was beautifully said.
I also see how busy the church has become. My father would call some mega churches just spiritual "health clubs" because it's all just wonderful activities but no real meat or Christ centered.

 
On November 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM , Becky K. said...

Beautifully said!
I posted on my blog today about the beautiful fellowship our church enjoyed yesterday. A couple invited us home with them to enjoy a nice lunch...sitting face to face and chatting was simply delightful.

 
On November 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM , Sheila said...

Well said, and a very timely message. Also, this reminds me of my mothers family farm in NC when I was growing up-the visiting, noon dinner etc.

 
On November 14, 2011 at 9:07 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Thank you, Joyce. I grew up in a farming community too and people there still do just drop by all the time. My mom always has goodies baked that she can pull out of the freezer to serve.

It's so nice to have a reason to stop everything and have some time with a friend. God wants us to stop everything and have some time with Him and to listen to Him instead of brushing it off just like you said.

 
On November 14, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Zuda Gay Pease said...

Very good post, Joyce, I loved reading it! I need the reminder to go out and not just stay in my sheltered nest.

 
On November 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM , Taylor said...

i totally agree.. go with the nudges...

have a wonderful day.
Taylor

 
On November 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM , Monika said...

Joice, spoken from my heart, I sometimes wish we can throw out all the techie gadgets. Especially with our children and youth, most of them do not know how to socialize in person because of the gadgets.
Amen Sister....♥
Monika

 
On November 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM , Tricia said...

Beautifully spoken post here! I so agree with Monika and wish we could just toss the gadgets that have made for a big decrease in socializing skills.
Tricia ♥ ♥ ♥

 
On November 14, 2011 at 11:07 AM , Lizzi said...

A heartfelt and timely post. We try to set aside Saturdays to visit people from church, and we go over and just talk about whatever. I love it.

 
On November 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

For me, my computer is my link to not being alone and I am grateful for it.
Thank you, Joyce. I enjoyed reading your post.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On November 14, 2011 at 5:10 PM , sammysgrammy said...

Wonderful post , Joyce. I'm encouraged to be intentional about caring for my neighbors.

 
On November 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM , the butlers pottery said...

Thank you for all these comments. God is working in our church in this way too.

 
On November 16, 2011 at 2:52 AM , Lorrie (WitsEndDesign) said...

I was just thinking today about some of the exact same points being made here-putting our faith into action,being God's hands and feet. It is so easy in our busyness to not give more time and attention to cultivating real friendships and support to others. Sometimes it can start with just a cup of coffee.

 
On November 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM , Donna (Twinmountainpottery) said...

Wonderful post. Joyce you are so right technology is actually making us less natural and real - have to have a schedule for everything. I remember my Aunts freezer full of goodies on their farm and that Dinner was the big meal and at noon time. We need to take time out to listen to God and also to be a friend!

I am drinking a cup of tea as I catch up on our team blog posts. They are all such a blessing to savor.