In 2003 I had my first lesson on a pottery wheel. Turning clay to form it into a bowl, cup or anything fascinated me. I couldn’t wait until I could make large items, such as large vessels.

http://www.etsy.com/people/designloveshare
 The years passed and I could center and turn about 2 pounds of clay, yet I struggled with larger amounts. My dream of making larger vessels was beginning to fade. 
 Then this past spring I ordered a DVD on how to turn pottery and my hope came back.
 I am ambidextrous which means I use both my left and right hands equally well. This can be confusing as to which hand will work best in a situation. .
 My first pottery teacher had me turn the potter’s wheel clockwise and placed my hands for a right handed person. Once I got my own wheel I found it easier to turn the wheel counter clockwise. What I didn’t realize was that I also needed to change the positioning of my hands.
 The DVD showed turning the wheel counter clockwise, which I had been doing. Since I had not change my hand position to go with the counter clock wise movement I was pushing against the centrifugal force. The clay was pushing up into my hand instead of gliding through it. Once I change my hand positions I could center 3 and now 4 pounds of clay. I was no longer at my wall and turning on the wheel became easier.
http://www.etsy.com/people/zybertexdesigns
  I realized this is much like following God. Jesus said to follow me and we say we will, but all too often we are telling Jesus what we want instead of listening to what he wants us to do. Luke 9:59-62  And He said to another, “Follow Me.” But he said, “Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.” But He said to him, “Allow the dead to bury their own dead, but as for you, go and proclaim, everywhere the kingdom of God.”  Another also said, “I will follow you, Lord: but first permit me to say good-bye to those at home.” But Jesus said to him, No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
 If we stop and listen, and turn our thinking from telling Jesus what we want to do, to doing what He wants us to do, our life, like turning on the wheel, will flow easier and we will be able to do larger things than before.  
 

http://www.etsy.com/people/GreenTrunkDesigns

When I am turning on the wheel I need to place my hands in the right position. When following Jesus we need to put our thoughts in the right position. Matthew 4:19 And He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
 I pray that we will have hearts to listen and follow Jesus instead of running our own show. 

Comments (12)

On September 12, 2011 at 10:49 AM , Zuda said...

Amen! Very good devotion...thank you!

blessings, zuda

 
On September 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Excellent message! Thank you so much for this devotional.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On September 12, 2011 at 2:41 PM , Lizzi said...

What an interesting example :-) Enjoyable read!

 
On September 12, 2011 at 3:29 PM , Becky K. said...

That is a wonderful lesson for all of us.

Thanks!

 
On September 12, 2011 at 4:53 PM , The wedding planner said...

yes this is so HARD to do, esp when u are used to running the show thanks.

 
On September 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM , bananaorangeapple said...

A great message. Thank you.

 
On September 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM , Unknown said...

Great message -- liked the connection you made from clay to our walk with Jesus.

 
On September 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM , the butlers pottery said...

Thanks for the comments.

 
On September 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM , Shari said...

followed your link from CAST. what a great devotion. thank you so much. very helpful.

 
On September 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM , LittleElf said...

Lovely message, thanks so much for posting. ^_^

Hugs,
Elfie

 
On September 13, 2011 at 9:36 AM , Bing ReMade said...

Following can be so hard sometimes, I always want to jump ahead instead of wait but I am learning, thanks for the great reminder!

 
On September 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Thanks Joyce. This scripture was used in the sermon at church this past Sunday. Funny how sometimes a certain scripture will start appearing everywhere. Maybe I need to pay attention :-)