The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.   2 Peter 3:9



My daughter has a habit of asking a question over and over again.  It doesn't matter if I give the same answer each time, she will continue to ask.  In some instances, I suspect she does this to get the answer she wants instead of the answer that I am giving.

Several weeks ago, we were working together one evening.  I was trying to quickly get a few orders shipped out and she was working on some homework.  She asked me a question and I gave the answer.  She asked again and I answered in the same way.  By the third time she asked, I grew impatient and showed it in the response I gave to her.

Afterwards I felt badly.  While she needs to learn to go with the first answer and leave it at that, she is also 6 years old and I'm, well.... I'm older. :)  I need to be more patient and I need to show that in my responses.

As I spent time in prayer the next morning, I prayed about this.  I asked God to forgive me and help me to always respond to my children more patiently.  It was then that it struck me.... how many times do I ask God the same question over and over again, but yet, he always is patient with me, kind and loving in all his responses.

In some instances, I think I miss his answers and in other times, I suspect I'm doing just as my daugher.  I keep asking the same question again hoping to get a difference response.  Either way, God is never impatient with me.  Ever.

God will never loses his patience with us and always shows his lovingkindness... regardless of our actions.  What a blessing!

Happy Sunday!
Melanie/Beads-N-Style

Comments (9)

On March 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Isn't it true that we get impatient with our kids for doing the same things that we do day after day with our father, God. That's definitely something worth pondering. Thanks so much, Melanie!

 
On March 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM , myeuropeantouch said...

Thought provoking Melanie....thank you, Monika

 
On March 27, 2011 at 12:32 PM , Art and Sew Forth said...

Thank you, Melanie. I think I am being like your daughter, asking for things that I already know what to do about. A good word for me. I guess I better heed the word!

 
On March 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

How God works! This is very applicable to something my adult daughter and I are dealing with right now.

Thank You, Melanie.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On March 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM , Tricia said...

Amen! What a great post Melanie!

 
On March 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM , pfd said...

Such a great picture of how patient our God is. It is so true, I often ask the same question or favor of God and not accept His first answer! Wonderful post!

 
On March 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM , Z said...

Patience, patience, patience. It's hard to be patient when I am so inpatient.

Thank you for reminding me of the patience of God.

 
On March 27, 2011 at 11:23 PM , Unknown said...

Great post -- Our lives are full of lessons if we are seeking him.

 
On March 28, 2011 at 9:24 AM , SHEILA said...

Oh my, if God didn't have patience, I think every one of us would be in trouble! But just like His never ending forgiveness and love for us, I know He will never become weary of our coming to Him for the answers we seek!
Thanks for the great post.