January Recipe of the Month....








by sammysgrammy, aka, Rita


My sister and I were recently reminiscing about our Aunt Lena's delicious raisin pie. The memory of this lovely pie made me yearn for it. I made one, even making a pie crust from scratch and shared it with my sister and her family. Of course, one wasn't enough. I wanted another one the next week. I thought a whole pie was more than I could handle so I devised this solution: half Aunt Lena's recipe and make empanadas instead. I got about 8 empanadas from one half the recipe and I could eat one or two and freeze the rest to enjoy on another day.

note: if you freeze them individually, on a tray, you can pack them all in a sealed bag and remove one at a time to enjoy. Let the empanada come to room temperature naturally.


Directions: Bring one rolled,commercial,packaged pie crust to room temperature. While it is reaching this point, make the filling.


Raisin filling: 1 cup raisins, 7 oz. water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 tbs. butter, 1 1/2 tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice.


Thickener: Put 1 tbs.of cornstarch and 1 1/2 tbs. of water into a small bowl. Stir to incorporate. Set aside.


Bring raisin mixture to a boil in small saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour cornstarch mixture into raisin mixture. Put saucepan back on the heat and cook cornstarch-raisin mixture for 5 minutes, stirring 'til thickened. Set aside.


On a lightly floured counter, roll out the pie crust with a rolling pin to thin it down a bit. With a plastic lid or cookie cutter, cut out 4" rounds from the crust. Fill each one (toward one side of the circle) with a couple tbs. of the raisin mixture. Fold other half of circle over the mixture to form a semi-circle. Crimp edges with a fork to seal. Cut small vent in top for steam to escape. Put on a cookie sheet to bake. Keep making rounds of dough and fill with raisin mixture until you run out, re-rolling the dough to get as many circles as possible.


Bake in 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes, keeping your eye on the color of the crust. When it's perfectly browned, remove from oven. Cool and enjoy.

**********************************************************
 
I just wonder how Abigail made her raisin cakes that she used as a peace offering in 1 Samuel 25. Very weighty little story there, that is a "gold mine" worth digging into. I "saw" Abigail as an intercessor. She is an excellent role model for us. She made a discovery that her husband had repaid one who had done him good, with evil. She wasted no time to hurry to the offended one, apologizing (actually asking that the offense be charged to her instead!) with offerings of peace, including raisin cakes. She reminds me of our Intercessor, who took our punishment so we could be free. Abigail's actions saved her husband from the murderous anger of those he offended and also prevented the offended one from shedding blood needlessly by avenging himself. (see 1 Samuel 25:18-42)


*********************************************************

Here are some Etsy vendors that have some really cool food related items in their shops. Visit them and give them some love.




CUPCAKE MIRROR - BY - GREERDESIGN

GRAPE HAT - BY - KNIT2GETHERINLOVE

EGG CUP - BY - BUTLERPOTTER




WINE GIFT BAG - BY - OLEBAGLADY

Comments (8)

On January 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM , Lizzi said...

Yum...my dad would kill these things lol.

True and insightful little sidenote about abigail and her being an intercessor.

 
On January 4, 2011 at 11:22 AM , Sue Runyon said...

I think I need to try this one :-)

 
On January 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM , Tricia said...

ohhhh that sound so yummy! When I get my oven back to working again I will have to try these out for sure. Wonderful word about Abigail being an intercessor! Great blog post! Yum yum

 
On January 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM , Sherri Ward said...

Reminds me of the raisin pie Mom used to make, so good! And great idea to make empanadas! Love the tie in to the story of Abigail, truly a woman of faith!

 
On January 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Oh my!! These looks so delcious. I HAVE to make them.
Thank you for this insightful message also. I love your recipes.

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On January 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM , Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

Oh Rita, that recipe looks so good! And I love your finds too. :)

 
On January 4, 2011 at 5:58 PM , Olebaglady said...

My father would of loved this!

 
On January 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM , pfd said...

Yummy is truly the word that I think of too! I love the connection to Abigail and your insight!