by Phyllis Ducey - pfdoriginalartworks

I teach customer service classes at my work and also at some of the local high schools. I am a customer service freak you may say. Every where I go I evaluate the customer service that I receive. If it is extreme in one way or the other I will often contact the manager. If I got great service I will report it (When you call the manager over they inevitably get this look on their face like they are preparing for the worse... I love watching their faces as they hear good news!) and I will do the same if I got bad service. I have a whole collection of good and bad service stories that I share... but will not take all your time with them. (My classes are a captive audience, they have to listen!)

In my classes we discuss the good and bad and how it makes us feel when we receive either. The answers are always the same. Good customer service makes a person feel valued and want to return. Bad customer service makes a person feel unimportant, unwanted and no one wants to go back. When they get bad service I ask how many people they have told about it... it is always a lot and they make sure to tell the name of the company or the person who gave it.

I tell the employees/students that everywhere we go we represent something. If we are working we are representing our company to others. An encounter with us can create a good outlook on our company or prevent people from returning. If we are a parent and talking to our kids teachers we are representatives for our kids. I tell them that maybe they have a spiritual belief and are representing that or are a wife at their husbands function and representing him (or vice versa). But at the least... the very least... they are always representing themselves. So I explain that they should begin thinking of how they want to be represented to others and start practicing good customer services in all things they do.

Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men
Eph 6:7


We all know that in this competitive online business world good customer service is key but as Christians the importance of giving good customer service is greater than anywhere else in our lives. In traffic, at a store that overcharged us, in a restaurant with a waitress who forgets about your table or even with an obnoxious telemarketer... wherever you are whether you like it or not you represent Christ. Kind of scary, isn't it?
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
Psalm 139:2
We can't check out and say "I'm in a bad mood today so no one will know if I am rude...I'll never meet that person again." Christ knows and knows that you represent Him. Have you ever had one of those days where things just weren't going good in life and someone held a door, picked up something you dropped or smiled and wished you a good day and it changed your mood? I have. Those little things made me feel like God had dropped that person in my life to let me know He was caring for me.
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all.
Phil 4:4-5
That is who I want to be. I want to be that person who makes another feel valued by God. That person, no matter how incidental the interaction is, who is a message from God of His love. I want to be that person who makes a difference by doing something as simple as holding a door for someone. I want to give a smile to another person to cheer their day. (Did you know that smiling is as good for you as it is for others? When you smile it changes the endorphins in your systems and actually makes you feel better too! Leave it to God to create us to feel better as we make others feel better!)

We can each be that person... it's so simple. Take note of the bad customer service you have received and remove those habits from your life. Then watch for good customer service and apply that to your life and interactions with others. Practice it. Pray for it.

We can all be a great customer service representative for God. What could be more important that that?
(and don't forget to smile!)

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.
Rom 12:9,10



<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Here are some great shops I recently discovered some beautiful items in! Check them out and give them some love!




Opal & jade hand carved pendant
by MathesonGemWorks










Bookmarker by JNJKeepsakes











Beach dressing earrings by JewelrybyMignon










Collage by littlethings1









Sunflower note card by acraftingheart











Glass pendant by bzglass











Pop art flower painting by mizwanky









Hawaiian gift bag
by theshortshop







Coasters by hislovenduresforever








Comments (9)

On September 26, 2010 at 11:03 PM , Santa's Stitchery said...

This is a wonderful topic, Phyllis! Thanks for sharing your insight. This article is a good reminder for me to really encourage those who offer great customer service.

 
On September 27, 2010 at 12:11 AM , littlethings1 said...

Great article ! Customer service is so important , you brought up a lot of good points ! We should strive to be good examples. Thank you for featuring my collage !!
Eunice
The Little Things

 
On September 27, 2010 at 7:50 AM , Julie Riisnaes said...

Thanks for this reminder! Great stuff!

 
On September 27, 2010 at 9:13 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Wonderful reminder and good analogy. I think we can all relate to customer service when it comes to being a representative of our Lord.

 
On September 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM , RockinJ9designs said...

We are all in the "People Business" one way or another. When we pay it forward we have the possibility of creating the beginning of a wonderful day for somebody else.

 
On September 27, 2010 at 6:29 PM , His Love Endures Forever said...

Thank you so much for that great analogy. I have never thought about it that way before. It really puts things in to perspective.

 
On September 27, 2010 at 9:01 PM , Unknown said...

What a good reminder for us! We are truly God representatives on earth!

 
On September 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM , J Honda said...

:O) Thank you Phyllis!

 
On September 28, 2010 at 11:41 PM , Heart's Desire Beading Company said...

Phyllis,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on customer service! Your last lines sums it up very well, "We are customer service reps for God! What could be more important than that?" This is something I am forever reminding my children of when we are out of the house! It is a great reminder for them (and myself) that the world is watching everything we do because we are His representatives!

Also, I have to admit sharing a smile doesn't hurt either! You would be surprised how many people do return that smile you've just shared with them!

Blessings,
Debra :)