This is the second installment of my series on how to legitimize your business by getting the proper licenses.


Click here for post #1 on getting your EIN#.

And remember that we are taking little baby steps. 


Here's STEP #2

This won't apply to all of you, but if you rent or live in an apartment complex, a neighborhood with a Homeowners Association, or on a military installation you will probably need to get permission from the landlords, apartment managers, Board of Directors of your HOA or base authorities in order to conduct a business in your home. I had to go through this process both in Alaska on a military installation and in Nevada for my HOA.

If you rent or live in an apartment complex you will talk to your landlords or the apartment managers. This is a good thing to check before signing a lease.

For an HOA check your CC and Rs, but you will most likely need to write a letter explaining what sort of business you plan and how it will effect your neighborhood. They will want to know about customer traffic, parking, signage, noise, hazardous chemicals, fire hazards and anything that will impact the community. You may need to wait for a response until after a regularly scheduled HOA Board meeting or until all authorities have had a chance to sign off on it. They may ask you to appear at the meeting to answer any questions or concerns they may have. This can take a little time so it's best to start on it right away. When I did this for my neighborhood in Nevada, my HOA was fine with it since the only outward appearance of my business in my community was a magnetic sign on my vehicle and a few extra supply deliveries. In fact, they considered it a bonus that I would be home during the day helping with Neighborhood Watch.

If you live on a military installation, it tends to be a long, process of taking your info to various agencies to sign off on (I think I had to get at least eight signatures). Don't be alarmed by this. The military is now recognizing the importance of having jobs for spouses that move with the family and allow for greater stability in their lives. Ask to be allowed to make appointments and hand carry your paperwork to all offices or it will tend to get lost under stacks of paper on someone's desk somewhere along the way.

Be sure and get all permission IN WRITING and keep it in a safe place. If you lease your residence, make sure you get an addendum to the lease signed by the landlord/apartment managers.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because your business is small and you're just making a few things on the kitchen table and selling them on Etsy that your neighbors won't notice or that word won't get out. That next door neighbor who doesn't like it when your dog barks at the mailman could make trouble for you if all your permissions are not secure.The Bible tells us clearly that all of our dealings should be honest and "in the light."


And, see, it's not so bad. Two steps done and just a few more to go.

Baby Steps.

Comments (6)

On September 21, 2010 at 1:14 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Sue, this is such good advice. Thank you!

♥♥♥
Sue

 
On September 21, 2010 at 1:31 PM , nancy said...

Thanks for the great advice. Thank you for featuring my dragonfly also.

 
On September 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM , pfd said...

Good advice... I own my home but doubt if I would have known to get the permissions.

 
On September 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM , Nanna's Knitting said...

I will be reading up on the last article and the current one. It looks like you are giving us wonderful and helpful information that I certainly didn't have knowledge of and I am very grateful for this!
Also, I am so honored to have my Daisy Scarf included here! Thank you!
Jo
nannasknitting.etsy.com
myshininglights.etsy.com

 
On September 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM , Unknown said...

Wow, great information. Something I would have needed in the beginning but it sure is helpful for the beginners.

I've never checked into the neighborhood situations as I don't have customers come to my home and just sell online.

Do you think I need to look into this more?

 
On September 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM , Unknown said...

Great information for the beginner.

I personally haven't checked into the neighborhood situation. Wonder if I need to as I don't have customers come to my home and sell only online.

What do you think?