http://www.etsy.com/listing/50699728/christian-symbols-print-35x5 by EmBoundArt.etsy.com

James1:12 Blessed is the man who perserveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.


This verse means a lot to me because of how it has affected other's lives and how it could have affected my life.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/50619801/watercolor-print-loquats-japanese-plumbs by WatercolorsNmore.etsy.com

I was brought up in a very dysfunctinal home, even though sixty years ago, it was not considered dysfunctional. My father was very abusive, both verbally and physically plus he was very innappropriate in the ways he treated me. My mother was caught in the trap of being frightened of how she could survive if she left him. Back then, there were no programs for her. Plus she never has nor does she believe. It took complete faith later in life for me to forgive and break the chain.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/53801044/frisky-the-needle-felted-wool-lamb by PearCreekCottage.etsy.com

My doctor, who is 10 years younger than me, grew up in the slums of NYC. His family was extremely poor, but his gift of intelligence got him into a special school called Bronx Science and from there he was accepted in Harvard University on full scholarship. He perservered and clawed his way out of the poverty and of course, now has brought his family with him.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/48470635/hand-painted-sign-with-quote-weeds-are by Handpaintedpetals.etsy.com

I have a friend, who came here with his mother and brother from Puerto Rico when he was 5 years old. They lived on a coffee plantation and had nothing, but the clothes they were wearing. His aunt paid their way to the U.S. where they lived in Paterson, NJ. His mother worked and left him and his brother alone for most of the night. She actually nailed the windows closed so they could not leave. She was eventually joined by his father and another brother and sister were born. Another long and sad story short, his younger brother died of aids in prison leaving a wife with 2 small children, his sister died of aids that she was given by her "husband" leaving 2 small children to be raised by his mother. He and his brother are drug addicts and are now 51 and 52. His brother lives in poverty doing anything he can to feed his addiction. My friend has relocated to New Mexico and has only now begun his road to recovery through perserverance and a strong love and faith in the Lord.


A photograph I took on the streets of New York City to show a tree growing in all that concrete.
These are all examples, of people I know, who have and have not been able to be what they could be through perserverance.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/44619909/broken-into-freedom by slwaldon.etsy.com

James1:12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.

For me, the only way to get the strength to perservere under trial, is to put all of your trust in the Lord and look forward. He died for us!


A Mexican Church.

By Sue (mysavior)

Comments (13)

On August 14, 2010 at 7:45 PM , Christie Cottage said...

This is a beautiful post Sue!

Thank you!

<><

 
On August 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM , Nikkie said...

Thank you for this! Very timely!

 
On August 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM , Sheryl at Hand Painted Petals said...

Sue, a terrific post, and very meaningful. I was totally unprepared for the changes in my and my family's life after a drunk driver ran into us. Now I know why people write books! And, you're right, 'back when' dysfunction wasn't identified as such, but certainly it was sick behavior. Been there, too. Fairly recently, I came to understand God better, and how He did in fact fit into my life (not that I was stubborn...). Now, I have a wonderful faith in God, which has brought me through many dark nights. It's hard to describe the peace I have now as a result, other than to say, "It's a beautiful thing." Thank you for your post, and for including my Eeyore sign about perspective :)

Hugs!
Sheryl

 
On August 14, 2010 at 9:04 PM , watercolors said...

Sue: What an emotional story. Sounds as though you have risen beyond, PTL. We can do that with our faith in our Lord, Jesus Christ.

I have had some similiar circumstances and my verse is: Psalm 40: 1-3
I waited patiently for the Lord, her turned to me and heard my cry.
2) He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out the mud and more; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. 3)He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of prase to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.

 
On August 15, 2010 at 9:39 AM , Sue Runyon said...

Thanks, Sue. Great inspiration for a Sunday morning.

 
On August 15, 2010 at 12:33 PM , MYSAVIOR said...

Thank you so much for your comments. I truly appreciate the input.

♥♥♥

 
On August 15, 2010 at 2:33 PM , Unknown said...

Wonderful words!! I am learning so much through you! Thank you for always sharing from your heart!!!!

 
On August 15, 2010 at 2:50 PM , Anonymous said...

What beautiful words. Thank you for taking the time and opportunity to share with us!

 
On August 15, 2010 at 3:59 PM , myeuropeantouch said...

Sue, how wonderful at witness...
Thank you for sharing...
Hugs, Monika

 
On August 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM , Jan said...

Thank you for sharing Sue. I know that it's not always easy sharing from difficult circumstances...but it helps in the "freeing process" as well... Bless you for breaking the dysfunction chain!

 
On August 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM , J Honda said...

yes! incredible post Sue...yep He Lives...in you

 
On August 16, 2010 at 11:38 PM , pfd said...

Sue - this is very inspiring with those poignant stories. Thank you for sharing and showing that through our perseverance in the Lord we can succeed!

 
On August 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM , Lizzi said...

That was a touching story. Because of so much going on lately I completely forgot (or neglected) to check out the blog and was reading back and unexpectedly came upon this post. Thank you for sharing.