GNOCCHI

by Rita Mascaro

Sammysgrammy

What is gnocchi? A little dumpling made with either baked potato, flour and egg or made with ricotta, salt and flour. We are going to make the latter. The gnocchi is served under a blanket of sauce (suggestions to follow). It is a main course, served with a salad of fresh greens. Or, in a much smaller portion, it can be the first course of a large holiday meal.

For 4 servings, you’ll need:

  • 1 pound of ricotta
  • 1 pound of flour (2 cups)
  • tsp. or so of salt.

If the ricotta is soupy/watery, drain the water off.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the ricotta, salt and the flour together, forming it into a dough. Knead the dough on a flour dusted counter until it’s nice and smooth. Let it rest for about 10 minutes with the mixing bowl inverted and covering the dough.

Divide the dough into fourths. Leave the quarters you’re NOT working on under the inverted bowl. Pinch off a piece of dough about the size of an egg and on the floured counter, roll it out with your fingers to form a little less than an inch thick snake. With a knife, slice the snake up into approx. 1 ½” pieces. Run your finger or a fork, very lightly down the center from end to end of this little piece (creating an indent and causing the little gnocchi to curl slightly – this indent will catch the sauce you dress it with). Do this with your whole mound of dough. As your little gnocchi are made, remove them to a towel covered cookie sheet. At this point, they can be frozen or stored in the fridge for boiling later. It won’t hurt them to sit on the counter awaiting the others to join them. It’s actually good for them to dry out a bit before they get boiled.

Note: I never said this wasn’t labor intensive, but it’s worth it!!!

Note #2 VERY IMPORTANT: The snake rolling part of this recipe is the part you get the kids to do. They love it. It’s just like playdoh. Plus, because they made it, they’ll eat it!!

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Carefully drop the gnocchi into the boiling water. Boil until they come to the top (just a couple minutes). Remove carefully with a slotted spoon (or spider) into a serving bowl and dress with a little sauce.

Sauces: Almost any style of sauce is wonderful on gnocchi. The simpler the better because the gnocchi is the star of this show. Therefore, just a little melted butter with a tad of olive oil added into which a clove or two of garlic is warmed (and removed) poured over the gnocchi is my favorite. Herbs can be added to this. i.e. chopped fresh basil, and/or parsley, and/or rosemary, and/or sage.

A thin, light, vodka sauce, or marinara sauce, even store bought Alfredo is excellent over the gnocchi. But, remember, very little sauce. The gnocchi wants to shine.

The scripture I chose for this post is

John 21:12 “Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine”.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have been invited to that meal, by the seashore, of fish grilled over an open fire, prepared by Jesus Himself?

The whole Word of God is the rich, satisfying meal He’s prepared for you and I. See John 6:33 where He said

“for the bread of God is He which cometh down from heaven and giveth life unto the world”.

Vs. 35 Jesus said, “I AM the bread of life”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of our fellow CAST-ers have wonderful items in their shops that greatly facilitate meal making. I’m sure they’d love it if you paid them a visit.


Comments (12)

On August 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM , MYSAVIOR said...

Okay! I will be the first to tell you how yummy this recipe sounds. I just made a delicious vegetable soup with zucchini today and I think that the gnochi would be D-lishous in it. I have never attempted gnochi. Now I have to try it. Thanks Rita!

 
On August 10, 2010 at 1:25 AM , Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

Rita, this recipe sounds delicious!!! My husband and I love gnocchi, so maybe I should try it sometime soon.

 
On August 10, 2010 at 2:33 AM , Unknown said...

WHAT a wonderful post! Start to finish. (The fabrics and artful combinations just floor me.) I LOVE gnocchi and I love the Lord. sigh

 
On August 10, 2010 at 7:41 AM , pfd said...

I just had gnocchi for lunch yesterday and am embarrassed to say before I read this I had no idea what it was made from. (you can tell I am not the great cook many of you are) I love ricotta so no wonder I love gnocchi!

Great picks too.

 
On August 10, 2010 at 7:51 AM , Anonymous said...

hmmm...Never had gnocchi. I will have to try it. SOunds like something my daughters would enjoy making. They like to "play" in the kitchen. LOL

Beautiful work from Cast members! The aprons are really cute!
Christie (luvncrafts)

 
On August 10, 2010 at 9:11 AM , Nikkie said...

Mmmm...i love gnocchi! I'll have to try this! Thanks!

 
On August 10, 2010 at 11:41 AM , Sue Runyon said...

I've made gnocchi with potato and it was quite labor intensive. I need to try this one with ricotta instead! I didn't even know you could do that.

 
On August 10, 2010 at 11:58 AM , cksilver said...

Wow! Sounds so YUMMY! Can you tell I haven't had breakfast yet? We may have to try it with the kids tonight!

 
On August 10, 2010 at 12:52 PM , Aprons2tie4 said...

Never made gnocchi before...can't wait to try it.Love those kitchen towels...thnx for including my aprons!

 
On August 10, 2010 at 6:39 PM , Lizzi said...

Sounds quite tasty!

 
On August 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM , Akiko said...

Sounds sooo good. I want to try it! Thanks for including my tomato potholders!!

 
On August 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM , Unknown said...

My husband loves to cook!
This receipt sounds so good my mouth is watering.
He will definately be making this soon.
Thanks