by Cindy Knight of cksilver

Introducing: Wendell Pohl and Ruth Hawkins (father/daughter team)
Wendell Pohl and Ruth Hawkins

Please take a moment and visit Wendell & Ruth's combined shop and Ruth's jewelry & accessories shop, and give them some love!

Introduction
We are a father and daughter team. We both live along the Eight Mile Creek west of Baldwin City, Kansas.

Wendell: I live on a farm not very far from where I was raised. My wife and I with our two daughters raised sheep and cattle. My father and I raised swine together. I also worked off the farm for the U.S Postal Service in Lawrence, Ks. I retired in June of '06 after 36 years of service. I stay active with routine farm maintenance and now with 8MileCreekDesigns.

Ruth: After graduating from college with my degree in Illustration, I chose to stay at home and raise a family. I am constantly creating some things for my home, one of my Etsy shops or with my boys. I opened my first Etsy shop, PurpleDesignStudio in 2007. I am also a proud member of the SHETeam.

How did you get your start on Etsy?
8MileCreekDesigns began the day that I (Ruth) decided to help Dad clean out his shed. Because both of us have the desire to create, we sometimes make things just to give it a try. Well, Dad had eight hubcap clocks just hanging on the wall in his shed. I photographed them and 8MileCreekDesigns was born. Now, we have even more hubcaps than before and I know more about cars than I every would have imagined!

What does a typical day look like for you?
Wendell: The weather usually dictates what I do on the farm during the day. If it's wet or cold I'll be working inside my shop.

Ruth: A typical morning is filled with getting the boys ready for a day of school. Getting school started around 8:30am is our goal. Our morning break (for me) is usually filled with Etsy; photographing, checking messages and listing. (Whatever I can fit in that 15-30 minute spot.)

When the short break is over, it is back to school, then lunch. Finishing up K-5 and 3rd grade lessons fill the afternoon. Sometimes, during my 2yr olds nap time in the afternoon I find a little time for being creative. Otherwise, the creative moments wait until the boys are in bed or on the weekends. I also have a large tub of Legos in my studio that provide hours of entertainment for them, and keep them occupied while I work (play).

If you could be anywhere in the world for one day, where would it be?
Wendell: I enjoy the Flint Hills of Kansas, the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, and the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming but I am content just being at home.

Ruth: Just about any place that has warmth and sunshine with my family.

What is your favorite Bible verse?
Wendell: One would be, Prov. 3: 5-6, Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Ruth: One of my favorite verses is Mark 11:22a-23. A reminder to me that real faith can move mountains! "Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith." Mark 11:22a-23

 

What is your favorite Etsy item listing to feature?
1961 Chevy hubcap clock shown below


URLs to where else we can find you on the internet:




Comments (8)

On April 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM , Princess Daffy said...

Fantastic feature on two very talented and gifted artists! Thanks for sharing this :o)
xox, Daff

 
On April 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM , Vanessa Renee said...

beautiful work. so unique. true artists.

 
On April 8, 2010 at 1:16 PM , Anonymous said...

Wonderful feature!
My hubby would love the Chevy hubcap clock! And now I am inspired to make him a license plate photo album! What fun!

 
On April 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM , Julie Riisnaes said...

Good to meet you and see your really unique stuff!

 
On April 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM , Sue Runyon said...

What a great father/daughter partnership. Wonderful feature. Thanks so much!

 
On April 8, 2010 at 7:13 PM , My 7th Heaven said...

Very cool to see a father/daughter team on Etsy! I love the feature :)

~Anastasia
mattscraftywife

 
On April 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM , J Honda said...

What a joy and delight to read about this loving and gifted team! This is a great feature - and I thank the teammate(s) for putting this together for us! THANK YOU!!

 
On April 8, 2010 at 7:48 PM , pfd said...

Awesome team!! The hubcaps are so cool... great stuff for man caves!