by Anastasia of Mattscraftywife



Introducing Rita Mascaro of sammysgrammy



Intro: I became enchanted with old things when, as a young wife, I began to furnish a home on a tight budget for four men (one hubby and 3 sons) with sturdy furniture. The salvation army was the first place I shopped. My eyes were opened to the endless possibilities of other people’s throw-aways.

How did you get started selling your crafts: The experience launched a wonderful hobby which I call “saling”, not the kind you do on the ocean but the kind you do at estate sales, moving sales, fundraiser sales, etc., etc.

What started out as a means to furnish my home soon became super saturation. I developed a distinct weakness for vintage buttons and linens. I needed to have an outlet for the many treasures I was carting home in my little hatchback. Soon I was making brooches with the buttons and angels with the linens. The Lord gave me revelation about the angels. That they were a picture of what happens in our life when we turn it over to him. The piece of linen may have come home from the estate sale all soiled, stained, wrinkled. I washed it and took whatever steps were needed to restore it to beautiful condition. It may have been used to do very mundane jobs like wipe a dish, dry hands, wipe a mouth, cover a pillow. But now it was just going to look beautiful and remind folks of the wonderful work of Jesus to make all things new. He gave me the verse from 2 Cor.5:17 - ….those who become Christians become new persons. They are not the same anymore, for the old life is gone. A new life has begun. (NLT) That launched my journey with craft sales

I opened my etsy shop a couple years after I saw a blurb about etsy in a magazine. I wish I had not procrastinated but I was timid about all the techno stuff. I still am slightly mystified, hence, my reluctance to dwell in the blogosphere, or on twitter, or even have a FB fan page.

How does a typical day look for me: It starts with devotions, check email for sales, inevitably get caught up in that and check the cast thread, the cast blog, other threads that I’ve posted in, etc., etc. Next, I might make something, photograph it, list it or relist something. I try to have some activity in my shop every day. I do the usual things that we all do each day. One thing I hope to add to my routine is EXERCISE.

If you could be anywhere in the world, where would it be?: There are so many places in the world I would like to visit for one day but the winner would have to be sitting on the beach in Cape May, NJ, watching the vast ocean waves breaking and splashing on the sand.

What is your favorite Bible Verse?: Again, so many verses are my favorite verse. Isn’t it wonderful how Holy Spirit draws out of the hidden spring just that perfect one when it’s needed. Here it is: 2 Cor. 1:20 “For as many as are the promises of God, they all find their YES in Him (Christ)” Amp.

Featured Item:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=41486929

Check out all of Rita's fabulous items in her shop! She is such a great lady, a good Christian, and very talented!

Comments (9)

On April 14, 2010 at 7:08 PM , J Honda said...

Beautiful!! I am encouraged and cheered reading this!! Thank you Rita for sharing!

 
On April 14, 2010 at 7:32 PM , Donna said...

Rita, I really enjoyed reading about you! I love how you relate making old things new to the way Christ makes us new!!! So beautiful!!! :)

 
On April 14, 2010 at 8:24 PM , Princess Daffy said...

So good getting to know you better dear Rita :o)
And you are such a cutie too!

xox, Daffy

 
On April 14, 2010 at 8:25 PM , Sue Runyon said...

You're adorable!

 
On April 14, 2010 at 8:51 PM , pfd said...

Rita, How fun it is to get to know you! And how awesome how you upcycle so much!

 
On April 15, 2010 at 4:55 AM , Julie Riisnaes said...

So good to get to know you. I love how you let God influence your work in so many ways.

 
On April 15, 2010 at 7:12 AM , Anonymous said...

Nice to "see" your Rita. I like to learn more about the real people behind the shops and avitars. :)
You do great work!
Christie
luvncrafts

 
On April 15, 2010 at 1:28 PM , cksilver said...

Beautiful feature, Rita! What a great testimony to what God is doing in your life!

 
On April 15, 2010 at 3:08 PM , Anonymous said...

Great feature! Yaye Rita!