Introducing Rebecca Douglas of reloveddesigns
by Anastasia Watson

-Name
Rebecca Douglas

-Shop name:
ReLoved Designs

-Prize you are offering:
Pistachio Shell Brooch (red)


(Don't forget to enter to win!)


-Introduction:
Born and raised in Windhoek, Namibia (a country with the second lowest population density in the world) I have always been different, and in recent years I have finally begun to embrace that. I have a wide skill set and as in the parable of the talents it seems the more I use them the more skills I acquire. I love learning new things, and the bravery is ever increasing as I step out and try my hand at something new. The Lord has always provided for me in every situation, we are dear friends, and I am super excited to see what he has in store for me and my business! I feel that ReLoved is a small reflection of the father's heart because he takes us out of the garbage, and then works on us to create something wonderful! We are not only rescued, we are ReLoved!! Everytime I salvage something I think about how God is constantly in the business of salvaging. He is desperately in love with us and so badly wants for us to radiate sheer brilliance!



Rebecca on a visit to Zambia, at orphanage

-How did you get your start on Etsy?
After a craft show last summer I was looking to find something a little less intense and slightly more consistent. Someone had suggested Etsy and one thing just led to another and I've had a great time so far! Finding a team however is what has kept me going.

-What does a typical day look like for you?
I provide day care for my niece about 40 hours a week and in my free time I cut, glue, solder, spray paint, drill, and find other ways to turn unwanted junk into wonderful treasures. Outside of that there's nothing typical about my days.

-If you could be anywhere in the world for one day, where would it be?
Fiji! I've wanted to go there since I was 13, however I really honestly want to travel everywhere!! I would love to cover the map! There's not a place in the world I wouldn't want to go if not for a moment just to see it.

-What is your favorite Bible verse?
Isiah 49:2-3
2 He made my mouth like a sharpened sword,
in the shadow of his hand he hid me;
he made me into a polished arrow
and concealed me in his quiver.
3 He said to me, "You are my servant,
Israel, in whom I will display my splendor."

-What is your favorite Etsy item listing to feature?
I love my pistachio shell brooches, mainly because I think I've cornered the market on them. I feel it is something truly unique, I've never seen anything like them, and that makes me really happy.

-URLs to where else we can find you on the internet (Facebook fan page, Twitter, your own dot.com, your blog, etc)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/reloveddesigns
http://reloveddesigns.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lansing-MI/ReLoved/101432543621?ref=sgm

Check out Rebecca's shop and see all of the wonderfully creative and beautiful items that she has made!

Enter the contest to win Rebecca's Red Pistachio Shell Brooch! Go to RelovedDesigns and pick out your favorite item and come back here. Post a comment with your favorite item in her shop. It's that easy!

Comments (17)

On March 17, 2010 at 3:26 PM , Joyful HandKnits said...

So great to read about you! And a picture!! LOL!! You are "reloved" to all of us, even tho you are Rebecca to those you meet face to face. Love the Red Pistachio Shell Brooches! Great blog!

Joy from JoyfulHandKnits.etsy.com

 
On March 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM , button said...

Thank you for this wonderful post about a wonderful artist! I love the name "reloved". It not only reflects the recycled items, but, how the Lord recycles us! I love that about Him.
Wondeful getting to know the artists on castteam a little better.
:o) button

 
On March 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM , Sue Runyon said...

Rebecca, you are just so cool.

 
On March 17, 2010 at 3:59 PM , My 7th Heaven said...

I so enjoyed doing this feature on you Rebecca! And seeing your face is such a joy! I love being able to put a face with a name ;)

Hugs,
Anastasia

 
On March 17, 2010 at 4:09 PM , Donna said...

Rebecca, I loved learning more about you!!! I think it's so cool that you are from Africa!!! It has a special place in my heart as I've spent time in both Zambia and Zimbabwe!
Here's my favorite from your shop:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=42787249

Hugs,
Donna :)

 
On March 17, 2010 at 4:54 PM , Julie Riisnaes said...

Great getting to know you better! Lovely pics! As you probably already know I like the CD earrings best - buts there's lots of other good stuff, the brooches included. Hope your shop is very successful.
Love Julie

 
On March 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM , cksilver said...

Loved hearing more about you, Rebecca, and hearing your heart and what God is calling you to do. I wish you the best of luck in everything, and so glad you are part of our group!

 
On March 17, 2010 at 5:39 PM , Steph @HCC said...

Hurray Rebecca!
Fantastic feature!
I love her postachio shell brooches! They are one of my many favorite things in her shop - cause I agree with her - I have never seen anything like them. How can you not love these little flowers? They are wonderful!

 
On March 17, 2010 at 6:18 PM , sammysgrammy said...

She sure enuf is cool. I especially love that both she and I re-purpose old things. I call mine "born again". She calls hers re-loved. We use different raw materials. But the end product is a beautiful demonstration of how our Father takes worthless ones, breathes new life into them and makes them brand new from the insdie out.

 
On March 17, 2010 at 7:49 PM , pfd said...

Rebecca - I am not sure I can get use to using your name, you are always reloved to me. It is so nice to have a little insight into who you are! What a blessing from God and I am so glad you are embracing the wonderful uniqueness God created you to be!

My favorite:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=40909512

 
On March 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM , Beantree Designs said...

How great to see this interview! I'm a packrat who always says "I'll find a use for it". I love the comparison between your items and us being re-worked.

Very tough to pick a favorite
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=41839352

 
On March 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM , Hillcrest Cottage said...

I have some missionary friends in Fiji...I could hook you up.
Great story! keep up the good work

http://www.etsy.com/shop/hillcrestcottage

 
On March 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM , ReLoved said...

Thank you everyone! I had forgotten about writing up the interview. I actually re-read most of it because I forgot what I'd said. But it turns out I know myself pretty well, and not much has changed since I wrote this, however my blog is now
http//:www.reloveddesigns.com

 
On March 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM , Teapots & Robots said...

Ok, this is hard because after looking at your shop- I love a lot of things!
I really do love your pistachio shell brooch, but I also lOVE the bubble necklace and the recycled paper bead bib necklace! They are all fabulous!

 
On March 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM , J Honda said...

wonderful! just wonderful!! i don't even know what to write - it is so lovely!

her whole shop is lovely, the pendants all gorgeous works of art - as is every item! I love the greetings cards, and the Commune bear pendant too!

 
On March 19, 2010 at 10:45 PM , Mary Ellen said...

Rebecca - So fun getting acquainted with you! Your shop is so fun, but my very, very favorite is the Bicycle Love pendant. Thanks for sharing your heart and talents.

 
On March 22, 2010 at 7:38 AM , Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

Wow, only just had a chance to read this post and it was so great to find out more about Rebecca!

I love her creations, especially the pistachio shell items.

I think the Pistachio Shell Flower Brooch --- Small Gold would make a beautiful hair accessory!